Monday, July 2, 2012

Nannie's Diving Catch!!

Don't get me wrong. I am not what you'd call young. I was once a gymnast, but that was a LONG time ago.  So if you'd told me that I'd be making a successful diving catch, I'd have laughed. Especially if you'd told me it would involve diving from a lawn chair onto concrete.

We were in the land of Zoey (did you miss me??)

Zoey

We were all sitting around relaxing during a cookout, while Zoey amused herself on her little plastic slide.

Climb.Sit.Slide.WHEEE.

Climb.Sit.Slide.WHEEEE.

The culprit.

But this time, between Sit and Slide, Zoey's foot got tangled under her and she went over backwards, headfirst toward the concrete!

I didn't have time to think...I just REACTED. I launched myself out of my chair onto my knee, cupping my hands under her head.

I guess I looked kinda like this, but without the sand, bikini and strange black shoulder. And a lot older. And with a baby's head in place of the ball. But definitely this expression.


And here is my proof. That's my right knee.

Ow.

There was a sharp intake of breath and then a spontaneous round of applause from the onlookers.

My husband quipped that I could have had a lucrative career in pro football, as a wide receiver.

Footballs or volleyballs...not so much. But with babies' heads, I'm golden!

2 comments:

  1. wow - that was quick and lucky!
    But your account was so funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was odd...it looked almost like slow-motion to me, but you know it happened in the blink of an eye. If someone had asked me if I thought I could make that play, I would have said, "NO WAY." Amazing what you can do to save a little one's noggin.

      Delete